Saturday, November 3, 2012

Day 2 Cebu City, Philippines


It's been my first full night here in Cebu, and already it's intriguing reevaluating my culture through a set of older eyes.

I'm staying in Cebu City with my Grandpa and Grandma for a few days before heading down south to Dalaguete. About a year ago grandma suffered a stroke leaving her in a persistent vegetative state. My mom had me bring a new feeding tube, an oximeter, and a couple of chucks. Grandma's receiving twenty-four hour home care, which is nice, but situations like this always make me think about the difference between extending life and extending the quality of life. It's a controversial topic, no doubt, but it's the first time I've physically sat across the room from a family member with a feeding tube while thinking about it. It's easy to form opinions and judgments when any situation is far removed. Ask any American how to solve the problems in the Middle East, and they'll give you a number of opinions. Ask those same Americans how many of them have lived in the Middle East, or traveled to the Middle East and more than likely they won't have done either. The same logic is applicable to medicine.

Earlier, my Grandpa said to me, “Look at your Grandma, she's awake. Her eyes are as big as the moon.” Compared to my Grandpa, do I really know what she would want? Would any doctor?

In the States, at work, I noticed the growing rift between that idea: What the doctor wants and what the patient wants. It seems the older tradition states the patient must listen to the doctor. Now, there is a paradigm shift the other way – the doctor must pay more attention to what the patient wants. It's definitely an important issue I consider when thinking about my future career as a PA.

No comments:

Post a Comment