Thursday, November 1, 2012

Day 1 Portland, OR

I'm sitting in the airport, at PDX, and it still seems somewhat surreal. I'll be spending three months in Dalaguete, Philippines volunteering at a hospital. My dad's cousins son works at a hospital there (I can't quite remember the hospitals name at the moment) so I'll be staying in town while working there. I've worked as a CNA in Oregon for a little over a year, but I'm still a little bit nervous about this hospital gig. It is, after all, a different country, and they'll probably expect me to do things that I wasn't trained to do as a CNA. It'll be a great way to gain experience, but adjusting always takes some time. 

Aside from gaining experience for PA school, this trip is also fulfilling a personal desire to return to my cultural origins. I've come to realize how much my parents have sacrificed, how many people they had to leave behind, in order to give me a chance at success. Although this trip feels metaphysical, as much as it might feel like I'm personifying some sort of metaphorical abstract emotion, in a very literal sense I expect to grow in some tangible way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment