Saturday, February 9, 2013

Day 100 Dalaguete, Cebu

Today was Dalaguete's fiesta. I spent most of the day and night with Ricky and his family. Fiestas are a huge deal in the Philippines and it was finally Dalaguete's time to celebrate! Ricky and I stopped by his friend's house who was making a roasted pig for us (sadly, all the pigs Ricky had bought to rear died from illness so he had to buy a pig and pay to have it roasted). His friend told me they start as early as 3:00AM and roast pigs all day to sell. While we were there checking out the progress of our roast, I was able to see the process of roasting a pig starting from livestock all the way to finished product. Even though I've already seen a pig prepped for market, it still amazes just how quickly people can go from a live pig to on a spit using a length of rope, a knife, and a bucket. The roasting "oven" is just a fire pit with a length of bamboo sticking through the pig and is manually turned. I can't imagine doing that at 3:00AM, but during fiesta families can make a lot of money just by selling roasted pigs. We spent most of the day preparing for the evening meal, which is a huge part of the celebration. Ricky took me early in the day so we could have the freshest pick of produce. Here's some pictures of our trip to the market.





I spent the rest of the nigh with Ricky's family. People stopped by throughout the day and evening (including most of the people from the hospital). The roasted pig was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment