Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Day 6 Dalaguete, Philippines

Wohoo! I was able to find a universal battery charger at the market today, so more pictures will be coming soon.

I worked in the ER/OPD again today with a different set of nurses. Everyone here is super helpful and totally willing to help me learn the language.

Unsa imu pa consulta? = Are you here for a consultation?

Naa na kay record diri? = Do you have a record here?

Nalipong is dizzy. Hilanat is fever. Cotas, dyspnia.

Both my parents speak Bisaya (which is the dialect here) at home, but only to each other or their Filipino friends, so it makes it a tiny bit easier to pick up on what people are saying – but only a little.

Here's my chicken scratch.




Today I helped admit four or five patients for consultations. Its not all that hard, but the language barrier makes it difficult. I can ask all the necessary questions, but when they start telling me what's wrong I can only pick up on about 25% of it. It can also be time consuming because the hospital is in the process of digitizing all it's paperwork and it's exceptionally difficult when brownouts are common (there were two in the eight hours I was there for my shift). All the new admits are still being recorded on paper because they have a ton of records to back catalog. There's a walk in closet stacked from floor to ceiling with boxes filled with every single person that's walked through the door since the dawn of time. I kid, but it's a lot. It's all organized, just daunting to look at. Here's how I admit patients for consultations:

Do you have a record here (Naa na kay record diri sir/maam)?
Yes, let me go find it in the giant paper closet.
No, lets start one.
Name?
DOB?
Age?
Gender?
Health insurance?
Why are you here/What's the problem?
I'll take your vital signs, ok?

Then there's more paperwork: filling out billing, filling out lab tests, filling out prescription orders. I truly don't understand how the nurses here have the time to do all the paperwork plus all the direct patient care. It's an insane workload, plus I found out that they work 14 days and the get two, sometimes 3, days off. I've always had great respect for nurses, but now more so than ever.

On the bright side I got to prepare a couple IV bags, assisted in a catheter insertion (not really something new), adjusted an IV drip, saw what happens when diabetic patients neglect to come to the hospital when their foot gets infected, and met a super cool guy from Australia who, unfortunately, was suffering from pneumonia due to COPD and was having trouble controlling his diabetes.

Anyways, I also got to feed the chickens and washed my clothes using a couple buckets and a spigot. Ricky also had an old mountain bike repaired for me so I'll be able to bike wherever now. Hopefully I'll still get to learn how to ride a motorcycle seeing as how that's the main mode of transportation here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment