Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Day 13 Dalaguete, Philippines

Earthquake! There was an earthquake during my lunch break today! It's the first time I've ever experienced one. Back in Oregon, there have been a few earthquakes, but I've always been asleep and didn't even realize anything had happened. This time I was sitting at a restaurant eating and I thought I felt the room shake. It wasn't too bad and only lasted a few seconds.

I only worked a half day today since I'm going back to Cebu City for the rest of the week. It's my grandpa and grandma's 60th wedding anniversary tomorrow, so I requested the rest of the week off so I can attend and visit other family members in the city.

Today was rotation day for the doctors. The IM doctor was replaced by a pediatrician and I got to see her perform an IV insertion on a baby that was less than a week old! It's one of the most skilled IV insertions I've ever seen. Birthing practices here are very holistic. The hospital is pro breastfeeding and there are rules against any soliciting of baby formula within the hospital. Baby formula companies cannot fund anything at the hospital because they want to keep the birthing practices away from money. I can't remember the term they use here, but after the baby is born, the mother holds child until the baby breastfeeds for the first time.

The rest of the day was quite slow because of the rain. Rain here in Dalaguete is similar to flash flooding except the people here are prepared for it. All the houses have cement built ditches that empty out away from homes and businesses. When it rains like it did today, everything basically stops. Literally, everything stops. If you're outside, and too far to get home, you just go to the nearest cover and wait. It'll rain for hours at a time with small breaks, which gives people time to get home, but the hospital is empty for most of the day because people just stay indoors.
Anyway, I made it to Cebu City and experienced some of the night life here with my cousin.

No comments:

Post a Comment