Thursday, November 22, 2012

Day 21 Dalaguete, Philippines

Another routine day on the ward. More IVT's, more syringe loading, more passing out meds. I say routine because, for the nurses it's routine. For me, though, it's exciting every time I get to load a syringe or prep an IV. The nurses also requested that I ask the patients their input and output as well as measure the remaining fluid in any IV bags.

Asking for I &O's has definitely been the hardest part so far. Why? Because I have to speak in Bisaya.
“Pila ka ihi sa buntag?”
“Pila ka inom tubig sa buntag?”
“Pila ka lebang?”
The nice thing is, since everyone can understand English, if I say something wrong, I can switch to English to clarify. Speaking with the patients here, listening to them, is making it easier for me to understand Bisaya.

I also met an American from California today. He's been married to a Filipina for 40 years and speaks fluent Tagalog and is currently learning Bisaya. He told me he graduated as a linguist major from Fresno State and has been here in Dalaguete for 2 years. One of his friends (who is also an American) was admitted to the hospital so he was dropping by to visit. Having an American here was nice because the nursing staff wanted me to do all the explaining of medication so I got a taste of what direct communication with a patient in a hospital setting will be like.

No comments:

Post a Comment